Thursday, October 30, 2014

I Hate Sewing Clothes!

I returned from my retreat on Sunday evening to be informed by my teenager that she needed a poodle skirt made by Friday! I had been bugging her for weeks about Halloween because I wanted to order her something, but due to teenage girl drama and procrastination she did not decide on her costume until Sunday...There was not enough time to order one and I have made half a dozen poodle skirts over the years, so lucky mom spent several evenings this week shopping for the supplies and whipping this beauty up. Of course I could not find my pattern and was forced to purchase another, at least Wal-Mart had one for $1.97! This picture is awful due to the lighting because I did not get it finished until tonight at 8:00 pm. I dread making clothes, but I made the deadline and she seems pleased with it.
I also baked these beauties tonight for a cakewalk tomorrow. My go to cakes for bake sales and cakewalks are bundt cakes. I can't stand icing cakes, but with bundt cakes it easy to cheat. All you have to do is buy a container of pre-made icing and melt it in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until it pours easily. One container iced both of these pumpkin chocolate chip bundt cakes. I picked up orange plastic platters at the dollar store. I will wrap them up with plastic wrap and put a label on them. Two pretty, easy cakes to donate to the cakewalk at the Halloween carnival. I promise I will never be Martha Stewart, but at least I did not just buy something from the store! 

Speaking of Martha Stewart, I just finished reading this funny book by one of my favorite authors, Jen Lancaster. She writes hilarious memoirs that always make me laugh out loud! In this one, she decides to channel her Martha Stewart skills for a year. The part about Halloween had me in tears because I was laughing so hard. It had been awhile since I had read one of her books and I really enjoyed it. Did you know that she got her book deal from her blogging? Hmmmm...
 Despite my poodle skirt struggles this week, I did manage to make my Little Letter O blocks
and my P blocks too. I also managed to add two more rows to my purple Modern Herringbone quilt and fit some handwork in. I stopped on my way home from work and picked up a perfect purple backing that I am also going to add a pieced herring bone strip to. Hopefully, tomorrow night I can get my backing pieced and a label attached, so I can start quilting it up. 

We usually do not get many trick or treaters since we live in the country, but I will pick up some candy just in case...Since I have to stop for candy anyway, I think I will buy frozen appetizers to save me from cooking, so I can spend my whole evening drinking hard cider and sewing. Plus, my hubby adores frozen junk food. It sounds like a perfect Halloween night! 

5 comments:

  1. The skirt looks great. Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poodle skirt is wonderful. The things we do for our children!
    There is something worse though -- mending clothes!
    Great idea with the cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember making a poodle skirt a number of years ago but for myself instead of a child. We did a 50's day at work. I have no idea what happened to the skirt. Long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate sewing clothes too! I made two Halloween costumes this year, one for my son and the other for his BFF. I will get a photo of them this afternoon and post it on my blog. My costume project wasn't nearly as difficult as yours though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can sew ton of notions on a quilt.....but ask me to resew a button on a pair of pants....I grrrrrrrrrrr. LOL! I'm sure DT loved her skirt...sounds like you had a quiet Halloween. I'm visiting Grandson...so lots of hugs and R and R.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!