Thursday, December 4, 2014

Little Letters Country Top

 Look what I finished piecing tonight! This is my Little Letters Country quilt. I have thoroughly enjoyed making these Little Letter blocks each week. This was a free block of the week pattern offered by Temecula Quilt Company. They gave directions for two letters each week. Here is the link to the instructions http://temeculaquiltco.blogspot.com/search/label/Little%20Letters
I dug into my scrap bins and made each letter with a different background fabric. I did buy a creamy Kona for the sashing and inner border, but I only spent $5 on that.
 I stopped by my local quilt shop on my way home from work looking for this brown fabric with the alphabet on it in red, medium blue, and navy. They no longer had it and I was kind of bummed, but I figured I would finish piecing the blocks and take it back with me either tomorrow after work or on Saturday and find a backing...Then a look in my brown tub and guess what I found-- the exact fabric I was looking for and enough of it to use for the backing! This was truly a happy dance moment. This is a pretty cute baby quilt for only spending $5. I have enough of the navy I used in the outer border for binding too. I want to get it quilted this weekend and start piecing the bright colored blocks I made. Any ideas for quilting it?
 We put our Christmas tree up earlier this week and my new tree skirt looks great under it.
This is the December block of my Count On It perpetual calendar from Art to Heart. Gee that Santa looks familiar to the ones in my tree skirt...Same great designer! I really enjoy this calendar in my classroom at one of my schools, I am even thinking of making another set for my other classroom...Perhaps, I should get some more UFOs done before I start anything else, but it sure is tempting! Any quilting ideas for the Little Letters would be appreciated!

24 comments:

  1. Your little letters are adorable!! The country colors ate perfect. Installed in L and need to get going again. They are so fun. I think I will be doing a simple stitch in the ditch around each letter because cross hatching or matchstick feels like it would detract from the letters. And I am not good enough at FMQ yet to try that, but again, it doesn't seem right to me. Can't wait to see how you decide to proceed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work with your letters quilt and on finding the right fabric in your own stash.
    Your tree is looking gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little letters is adorable! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to quilt a spiral on mine. Starting from the centre out. Great job of yours. I haven't completed my top yet....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice finish! The alphabet is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable. It makes me want to go back and make one too! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Little Letters! I have some of that fabric and never even thought to use it on the back--shoot! Mine is quilted and bound, so it's too late now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cute, I love it. And for $5 that is an awesome quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt looks great glad you found the fabric you wanted as it is hard when you have your heart set on something and you can't get it. Your tree is lovely. Good luck with your quilting I look forward to seeing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Little letters is wonderful Tanya! I really love the colors you chose. How fun that you found the fabric after all - it's perfect for the backing. I'm almost always stumped for how to quilt things, so can't be much help there. Enjoy your beautiful Christmas tree and tree skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job with your little letters quilt. I like how you used different background fabrics with each letter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that little letters quilt. I'm seeing it on a lot of blogs, and the girl across from me at the retreat I was at before Thanksgiving was working on it. Guess I should take a clue and at least save the patterns. Your tree and tree skirt are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your little letters quilt - I collected the letters but haven't done anything with them. I think I would probably do a simple line stitch just inside each letter to emphasize them, then something a little bit more in the borders, maybe loops. I have that Art to Heart book - love their designs! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ABC quilt is so darn cute in your color choices! And what a gorgeous tree to grace the pretty skirt : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on completing your Little Letters top. Seeing you write about this on your blog a wee while ago got me started too - so thanks for the inspiration. Haven't quite finished yet, but my completion is not too far away. I like the idea of spiral quilting it, not something I have attempted yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoop whoop for you.... I have only dreamed about making this quilt. Thanks for sharing. Janita

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your little letters quilt top looks great. How lucky to have the perfect fabric in your stash! That's why its good to have a stash (well thats my excuse).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did not have time to make the letter blocks but have enjoyed seeing yours progress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is absolutely lovely. I have a friend having a baby soon, so thing might be the perfect quilt for that. Plus I have aspirations for another mini quilt which would require some letters. I will have to check out the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your little letters. I'm up to S. Seeing yours finished is incentive to finish mine, hopefully before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cute - I love how both of yours turned out. I am working on completing mine this week. I just finished the binding on one and the other two are still in block form! I had better get sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both of your alphabet quilts turned out fantastic, Tanya! Your fabric choices were perfect and how lucky for you to have found just the one you were shopping for - right there at home! Love the label you made. When I am looking for a fast quilting finish, I like to use the serpentine stitch or extended zig-zag stitch to quilt. But using the walking foot and doing a wavy organic line quilting works well, too if you don't have those stitches. Hope there is nothing serious wrong with your machine! It sure is nice to have a back up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These alphabet quilts are so cute. I love how the colors give a different "feel" to each one. Congrats on finding the fabric you were looking for. I can just imagine that dance--something only quilters would get, right? Good luck getting your machine fixed, although for me, the featherweight would be the go-to machine. But that's just me. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!