Sunday, June 7, 2015

Tablecloth Quilts

I finished putting the binding on my tablecloth quilt on Friday morning, but I could not get any pictures taken until this morning because of two rainy days. This was my take on the Charm Square Sampler Quilt Along featured by Shannon here 
I quilted it with red on the diagonal both ways using a wavy stitch on my Pfaff.  It kind of gives a diamond effect.
I have had several questions about the wavy stitch, so I took a picture of the screen on my Pfaff hoping that will help. I don't make any adjustments from what the machine has preprogrammed.
 The backing is a Robert Kaufman fabric called Metro Living. I picked up for 40% off at my LQS's Memorial Day Sale. 
I named this "Cherry Charm Square Sampler Tablecloth."
 I have had lots of questions and comments about using quilts as tablecloths. It was not my idea! We attended a family reunion about 14 years ago back in Springfield, MO. Part of the reunion was at an amazing 300+ acre farm with lots of different houses and they were using vintage/worn out quilts as tablecloths. It was very country and they looked fabulous with the vintage dishes, so I came back and made a quilted tablecloth. This is the tablecloth on my kitchen table right now. Large design quilts look great on tables.
 This is the quilt tablecloth on my dining room table. I recommend using a thin cotton batting like Warm and Natural because it is low loft and lays flat. I also recommend using dark colors and avoiding whites and lights because of spillage and staining. Also use high quality fabrics if you expect the tablecloth quilt to last.

You can coordinate your tablecloth quilts to your dishes like I do with my Fiestaware and I also like to make seasonal and holiday versions. I wash the tablecloths often and have several to rotate them. Don't bother with hand quilting or hand binding a tablecloth quilt because they will be laundered at least once a week if not more!
This is one of the first tablecloth quilts I made. The blue sashing has faded greatly and so have some of the other fabrics.
This large hole was put there by my dog, Lola. She pulled the tablecloths off the table and ate holes in several of them that had especially delicious things spilled on them. Needless to say it was retired as a tablecloth and is now used as a utility quilt for dogs!
This is Lola, our border collie mix and the culprit, but she did the tablecloth destruction when she was young. She is now 10 years old and ill. She had an anemic crash last week and was diagnosed with cancer. The vet put her  on steroids and she is doing a little better and eating again, but is very lethargic. We will try to keep her comfortable as long as we can. This was a shock because it came on so suddenly and within weeks of putting our chocolate lab mix down.
Bella is trying to be a good buddy and not bother her too much, but she is very energetic and it is hard for her to have her pal no longer be able to play.
I did make my Farm Girl Vintage Corn and Tomatoes Block this week, but I still need to make my Country Crossroads Block. I have been working on some secret sewing projects too and hope to share them soon.
I will be Slow Stitching as we watch the Women's World Cup today and for the next few weeks. Check out other handwork here http://kathysquilts.blogspot.com for Slow Sunday Stitching.

My birthday was last week and I did receive some great quilty gifts, but I will save them for another post.

33 comments:

  1. I like to use small quilts for table cloths too but I take them up when we eat and put place mats out - then when done put the quilt back on the table for decoration - but then I hand quilt a lot and like to use white also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it won't surpise you to know I collect fiestaware as well!! LOL!!! Love using quilts as a tablecloth...and am curious about your secret sewing...it looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your quilts as a tablecloth. I remember when I was little that my mom and grandma would use quilts as tablecloths also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see your Charm Square Sampler finished, love the quilting.Can you tell me the pattern you used for the black and brights table cloth please? I love that too!! I hope Lola hangs in there a little longer, it is so hard when they leave us!! Your secret sewing looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be a wonderfully bright and cheery table quilt. It makes me think of picnics. Love seeing all the other ones as well. Enjoy your slow stitching and the game. I think Australia and USA play today/tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Tanya, I'm so sorry to hear about Lola's diagnosis. After losing Dora, your family must be reeling. I hope you'll find, as we did with our girls, that the time that follows is particularly sweet, as you get the chance to tend to her, give her the loving care that want to show her, and she will likely be very receptive to all the nurturing. When I was broken-hearted, trying to come to terms with the imminent deaths of two of our dogs last winter, my niece--likely remembering her mother's death from leukemia--gently said to me, "Cancer is terrible, Aunt Beth, but at least it gives you time to say goodbye." I didn't want to say goodbye, but I am grateful I was able to take a little time to do it. And I'm so sorry you have to, too.
    xxx Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so sorry about Lola !

    The tablecloth quilts both new and old are lovely and what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tanya, I'm so sorry about Lola's diagnosis. This is a very hard time, I know.
    Thank you for the tips about how to do up gorgeous tablecloth quilts like yours. Your red one made me smile, because we always used to put red "spaghetti shirts" on the kids when they were tots if we were serving sauce, because they didn't show stains.
    A belated happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a quilt eating grandpuppy but I love him anyway :)
    Hope you can enjoy some stitching even though you must be so worried about your Lola

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can just imagine your Fiestaware on those quilted tablecloths!! Great idea because I've covered every other surface in my house with quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the quilt with the red background.... it's very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to use quilts as tablecloths, too. They add such charm to the kitchen and table. Your red quilt is so bright and happy! The wavy stitch on the Bernina 440 is stitch #4 and put it on the longest stitch setting. I really like using that stitch to machine quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never thought of using quilts as table cloths. Ooh, I like that idea!

    I love the one on your kitchen table. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your tablecloth quilts. I've only used small ones on occasional tables. I haven't been brave enough to put one on our eating tables yet.

    So sorry to hear Lola's news. We have lost a few of our furry family members. I hope she is comfortable and pray for strength for you and your family.

    I am behind on my Farm Girl blocks due to travel and feeling a bit under the weather. I hope to catch up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love using quilts as tablecloths too. I figure it's just another way to display them rather than folded in my cabinet. :) Thanks so much for linking up to Main Crush Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the red in it!
    I also really like the idea of tablecloth quilts....very interesting, and pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love using quilted placemats to sop up all the spills and crumbs, but as tablecloths -- wow! I never thought of that. But it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your new tablecloth finish! Love that serpentine stitch and the backing is the perfect match. Sorry to hear your collie is not well. Praying for Lola and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  19. You got me thinking of a quilted table cloth now! hugs to lola.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilts are just gorgeous! I'm sorry about Lola, its so hard when animals suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your tablecloth quilts. They are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such pretty quilts. Love that red! Of course I always enjoy seeing your FGV blocks. I'm caught up but been out of town for several weeks so I haven't done a post. I'm so sorry about your dog. Those are heart breaking times for sure. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your table cloths..I would love to have one on my table, but I am afraid it will get stained..

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it's a great idea to make quilt table cloths. We don't actually use them here, partially because I'm usually crafting at the kitchen table :) But, I love when quilts are made to use, in any form!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the use of the red background fabric! What a bold choice!
    My dogs have been naughty and eaten many things they were not supposed to, but never a quilt! Of course, my quilts don't have num nums spilled on them so they are not that enticing. I am very sorry to hear about Lola, especially so close to another loss. My first dog passed a few months ago and I still miss her everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The first time I saw someone use a quilt as a tablecloth was my mother for her bridge group. I wasn't impressed at the time, but I've come around. What a bold and beautiful quilt! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your black tablecloth - so striking! I've used quilts for years as tablecloths for my small kitchen table, never thought to do so for my black dining room table. You've given me something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was hoping you saw this week's theme as I remember this post and was inspired by YOU to use quilts for tableclothes. I've sewn my together without batting....works great!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really inspireing blogpost. Fantastic colors.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!