Sunday, January 3, 2016

Stash Quilter

 As I am preparing to go back to work tomorrow and for my first time teaching a quilting class next weekend, I am squeezing in some last minute projects. I am a total stash quilter. Many of my quilting projects begin in my stash, so it is a no brainer for me to join in with Jenn from A Quarter Inch from the Edge and her The Year of The Stash challenge. The linking party and info can be found here
or from the button on the righthand side of my blog.

My first stash project of 2016 is this door banner. I designed it myself using the cocoa cups block from Lori Holt's Quilty Fun book--the cocoa cups our are January BOM. I made four cocoa cups and used some 2 inch stencils to make the letters. I want to show my quilting students that there are lots of ways to use the blocks featured in the book. I made it completely from my stash and will finish binding it this afternoon for Slow Sunday Stitching
 My second stash project of 2016 is this Snowball Fight table runner also from Quilty Fun. We will be working on mittens for our February BOM. All the colored fabrics are from my stash, but I did have to buy the gray Kona background at Joann's--it was 40% off and I had a gift card. I need to attach the flying geese and another gray border, but I got it almost completely pieced yesterday quilting with my mom. We had such a great time in her studio. We cranked up the fireplace heater and binged watched Frankie and Grace the whole first season on Netflix. Plus, my dad made us gourmet pizza in his fancy pizza oven for lunch--what a great way to spend the day! I hope to get at least one more day over there before they depart for the rest of the winter in their motorhome and warmer locales. 
 Another no brainer is to join Heidi at Red Letter Quilts for her One Monthly Goal (OMG) group. Specific information can be found here
She is encouraging everyone to set one monthly goal and offering a giveaway. 

My goal for January 2016 is to finish up a major UFO--my Back to School Quilt. This quilt was featured in Quilt Sampler magazine Fall/Winter 2009 and designed by  Temecula Quilt Co.. I made it mostly from my stash over the last six years. I think the only fabric I actually bought specifically for this was the black border. 
 I quilted it with meandering loops on my mom's long arm yesterday. The backing was even a stash find--a Thimbleberries piece from 2003.
I dug into my brown bin and found a good brown/gold color for my binding this morning.
It is already to be bound by hand this afternoon during the final regular season Bronco game. I am wearing my Bronco gear and planted in front of our big screen with lots of stitching to keep me busy and productive. Have a great week!

27 comments:

  1. You made really good use of your stash. Love the cocoa banner! Enjoy your afternoon of slow stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like lots of binding time in your futures. I really like those quilty fun blocks. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up on One Monthly Goal. I've been looking for something to replace A Lovely Year of Finishes (so motivating)! And thank you for spreading the word about The Year of The Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to continue to focus on my stash. I made a pretty good dent last year but there is still a lot of older fabric there. Thanks for sharing all your pretty projects with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your door banners and back to school quilt are so fun! Great examples for your students!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watching your Broncos now, Peyton is back! Come join me for the next Scrap Dance, starting Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cocoa banner. Glad you had such a nice day with your folks

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many great quilting projects!
    Thanks for the info re: OMG... will definitely sign up!
    Hope you enjoyed your binding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stash projects. I ordered Lori's Quilty Fun book and hope it arrives soon. Love your banners.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for linking up with One Monthly Goal, and spreading the word! Good Luck with Back to School:)

    OMGosh, those mittens are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is very attractive! I've been wanting to do something with houses...so many dreams, so little time!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your two door banners...yoummuts have an amazing stash to make so many beautiful things. Beautiful quilt with the houses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh goodness Tanya! I love that Cocoa Cup quilt and the snowball fight quilt too - so adorable!
    Good luck with your One Monthly goal and also with your quilting class. I am sure you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your runners - so perfect for this season!! Good luck on making your goal for OMG!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of great projects here Tanya.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work with your banner and good luck with your quilting goals.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these banners that you designed yourself, especially the hot cocoa one! :) What a pretty quilt to finish up this month, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, Love, Love your Back to School quilt! It's just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great post of lots of eye candy. Those mittens/snowballs are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the cocoa banner...I saw the Stash buster link but I am not ready to commit to using up my stash....not before I have worked through some UFO's so I have joined the 100 Day Challenge. Thanks for linking up at DBM at Bits 'n Bobs...good luck with your teaching class next week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your stash sounds awesome, a little bit of everything is in there from the looks of it! I love that you quilt with your Mom, that sounds like so much fun. :) Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some great finishes! I especially like the cocoa banner. I'll reiterate what someone said earlier: you must have an awesome stash!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The mitten one is so cute - love the triangle border.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The cocoa banner is so cute! Thanks for linking up to Building Blocks Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!